Friday, September 7, 2007

First blog!

While I love my parents dearly, and am forever indebted to them for allowing me to bunk with them while trying to find my own place, now that I have actually found my own place, I thought it was high time to make my own blog. Yes, I finally bought a house! The closing isn't until the end of the month, but once I move in, I'll post pictures. It's an adorable 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath house on a large lot. The house is only 960 sq. ft, but it's a perfect size for me! It was built in 1910 so it has great character, and lucky for me, it was moved to a new foundation in 1995 and had everything updated at the same time (electrical, plumbing, roof, water heater, furnace, as well as updates in the kitchen). It's been kept in great condition and I absolutely cannot wait to move in! All at the same time, I found a new job with a great company. The job is with Baker Energy, a worldwide energy and engineering firm with an office here in Sheridan. It's a rapidly growing company, which can only mean good things! The website is www.mbakercorp.com. Essentially, it's an entry level position in the administrative department, but they are paying me a great starting salary and have made it clear there is plenty of room to grow. They take great care of their employees and that makes all the difference (especially compared to the stuffy, unhappy environment of the bank I was working at). Today, they closed the office at noon for the annual employee golf tournament. It was my very first time golfing, besides mini golf, and it was an absolute blast! They paid for everything, fed us dinner, and gave out fantastic gifts. My team was the losing team, so we were given one free golf lesson each... My name was also drawn for a 1/4 of a pig. Yep, that's right, I'm going to be receiving "a quarter hog." Every year, the company usually purchases animals from 4-H kids as a way to support the community (keep in mind we're in podunk Wyoming, where livestock are a means of living). This year they purchased two pigs and one lamb. I won't go into anymore detail, but basically I'm receiving a very healthy, non-commercial, piece of pork (and it will be huge). I'll be sure to post pictures from the golf tournament once I get a few...especially of my golf cart driving skills...I've already gained notoriety within the company for my successful driving...

No comments: