Thursday, March 12, 2009

My love affair with beer...


…began when I was a freshman in college. (Sorry Mom & Dad) Sadly, I wasted many of those early years on horribly watered-down “stuff” that can hardly be put in the same category as glorious, lip-smacking beer. We were college students. Poor college students. Luckily, a genius realized the need for unbelievably cheap beer. We drank it like it was an essential nutrient found on the food pyramid. Our specialty? Natural Light, a.k.a. Natty Light. Occasionally we branched out…to Keystone Light. “Splurging” meant buying Coors or Bud Light. Scary. Growing up, my parents kindly allowed me to try their occasional microbrew or glass of wine, but I could not bring myself to enjoy the microbrews. I drank the cheap stuff in college simply because it’s what was offered. It would be several years before I learned a new fondness for beer.

I digress. Back to my freshman year. I had an interesting friend who had already acquired a taste for good beer. One evening before going out, a few of us anxiously waited for him to finish his beer before we trotted off to a frat party. He was tired of the watery stuff & indulged his craving for decent beer. We couldn’t believe how much he had spent on a six-pack. It was Killian’s Red. He offered me a taste. I brought the bottle to my lips, took a nervous sip, & felt the angels on high sing down upon me. Glorious. What?!? Beer tastes GOOD?!? Time stopped. The fabulous fermented-grains liquid lingered in my mouth while my face froze with a look of dumb, unadulterated bliss. Seven years later & I can still recall the details of that moment. Of course I remained a poor college student for another 3 ½ years, so while Killian Red’s changed my life forever, basic economics prevented me from enjoying more quality brews.

Fast forward to present day. My fondness for awesome beer has grown exponentially. I’ve been to Great American Beer Festival (twice). I’m dating a homebrewer. Needless to say, all the pieces have fallen into place. It’s become tradition among our friends to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day (if it falls during the week, we celebrate on the appropriate weekend). I wanted to host a party at my house but could not decide how to make it creative. *Light bulb* Why not have a beer tasting?? The 1st Nectar of the Gods (Beer) Tasting will be taking place this Saturday at O’Ramirez Pub! As I told my friends, I refuse to call it “1st Annual Nectar of Gods (Beer) Tasting” because this event may, & should, take place more than once per year. I just may have to buy Killian’s Red this weekend. I’ll make sure to post pictures. After I’ve recovered.

No comments: