Friday, December 25, 2009

Snowshoe Running

Last year, I became interested in the idea of snowshoe running.  So often during the winter, Steve & I get stuck on the "Dreadmill" at the gym & our running motivation takes a serious dive.  I had done some reading on snowshoe running, a great way to enjoy "running" outside while there's snow on the ground.  After doing research, I purchased a pair of Redfeather women's snowshoes at the end of the season (thus allowing for a better price).  Snowshoes can range anywhere from $75-$250+ & don't often go on sale, but if you do enough digging, you can usually find something that will fit your needs for a good price.  I wasn't planning on becoming the next snowshoe racer, so I wanted to stick with a snowshoe that was smaller, lightweight, but not out of my price range.  As for shoes, I found another great deal on Gore-Tex Adidas trail shoes ($89 through Road Runner Sports); I bought a half-size up to make room for wool socks.  I went with trail running shoes because hiking shoes are too cumbersome for running.  To prevent snow buildup in my shoes, I bought a pair of gaiters similar to these (although mine were $25 & waterproof - essential for snow).  For clothing, I wore running tights with snowpants over top & several layers on top.  The snowpants are bulkier than what I'd like, but they're necessary because you'll kick snow up on  your rear & running tights will be soaked.  In the future, I'll probably look for a light pair of waterproof pants - rain pants might work well.  On top, I layered several wicking tops (all from my workout collection) - sports bra, short sleeve shirt, long sleeve shirt, & Capilene base layer.  The first time I wore my down jacket, but quickly had to stuff it in my backpack because it was too warm.  I always wear mittens & a hat - neck gaiter if it's cold enough.  Because I'm in the mountains in the middle of winter, I carry a backpack filled with water, food, & safety equipment (first aid, matches, knife, etc).  The weight of the backpack is an added bonus - it adds to the workout!

I've been up on the mountain (not enough snow in town) a few times & I fell.in.love. with snowshoe running.  But let me warn you, it's more like hiking & less like running.  Don't expect to strap on snowshoes & go for a 30 minute run.  No way Jose.  The area I've frequented is a dog-friendly cross country ski & snowshoe area. Snow is not usually packed down, making the snowshoeing that much more difficult & more of a workout.  If going uphill, I don't run - I'm breathing hard enough.  When flat or downhill, I run for 15-30 sec, walk for a few minutes, run 15-30 sec, walk...  Rinse & repeat.  I built myself up to running for 1 min.  Whoa buddy.  Of course, if utilizing an area with packed snow, you'd probably be able to run for longer periods of time.  The deep snow helps strengthen ankles too, especially wearing running shoes instead of ankle high hiking boots.

I try to take the dogs because it's an excellent way to tire them out.  A few pictures from one of our recent adventures...

See the dogs running behind me?  Brewer on the left, being chased by Gidget on the right.  :)

Brewer eating snow


How many dogs can you see in the trees??



Dogs running chest deep through "Mutt Meadows"

Gidget gets hot & buries in the snow



2 comments:

greener side said...

Hi Christina,

I know what you mean by getting stuck running in the gym, I'm there too. I keep renting snowshoes and haven't taken the plunge to buy yet but need to since I have great trails right outside my door. The pictures of your dogs having so much fun in the snow is inspiring me to get out with my dog, Ginger. She loves romping through the snow too.

Have a fun winter outside!

Chicky said...

Hi Kimberly-
It can get so boring on the treadmill. I waited quite some time before buying snowshoes - in our area, it's so cheap to rent them I didn't feel too bad renting them instead of buying right away. I hope you enjoy your winter as well!