Sunday, September 20, 2009

Banana bread

(Disclaimer: my food never looks as beautiful as the pictures from the professional recipe. And for some reason, Blogger keeps rotating my picture - it should be horizontal - & I can't figure out how to fix it)
Of all banana bread recipes I've tried, I've enjoyed this recipe the very best. I prefer my banana bread to be moist & using other recipes, it's always turned out dry & almost unedible on the edges. However, this Cooking Light recipe has been fabulous. I've made a few adjustments & it still turns out an excellent final product...

Adjustments I've made with success:


-Using Yoplait Light Fat Free Vanilla Yogurt (the only yogurt I had in the fridge - individual container)
-Lowering sugar to 3/4 cup; I didn't want overly sweet banana bread & since I wasn't using plain yogurt & instead using yogurt with sugar in it, I made the executive decision to cut down the sugar amount. Bread still tasted great, but if you prefer sweet banana bread, stick with 1 cup
-Half wheat flour & half white; the first time I baked this bread, I used all white. This time around, I decided to experiment with half whole wheat flour & half white - so far so good!
-4 bananas instead of 3 (three did not seem to have enough banana flavor, so four it was)
-Adding cinnamon & nutmeg. What's banana bread without spices??

Of course, all ovens vary & I cooked mine longer than 1 hour. Although the ends always dry up a touch more than the middle, they're still moist. *Note: this is a fairly moist banana bread; verging on "wet" in the middle. I like mine this way, but if you don't, I would recommend baking it longer.
Next to try: adding walnuts.

No comments: