Friday, September 18, 2009

Who knew gardening had such a learning curve?

Granted, it's only my second year trying my hand at gardening (more specifically, veggie gardening) & it's going swimmingly well for beginner status, but I learn something new every day.

Mother Nature has been on a roll... Blackbirds are eating our sunflower seeds, slugs are enjoying my tomatoes (ick), & grasshoppers have been living very well off our garden. We've never used chemicals on our gardens, but next year I'm going to look very seriously into organic insecticides/pesticides.

P.S. I read beer was a great way to get rid of slugs - put a few saucers of beer in the garden & the slugs, attracted to the yeast, will fall into the beer & drown a happy death. Well, apparently Busch Light is not their choice of drink. I went out the next morning hoping to find slugs in the beer & off my 'maters, only to find them happily munching on the 'maters. Damnit.

I dream of owning several acres tucked away in the mountains in which I can have large garden plots some day - in the meantime, I'm working on my gardening education...
_______________________________________

And not too far off topic, as weather has played a large part in our crazy gardening season (& my desire to wax philosophical for a bit)... What are your thoughts on the idea our weather patterns have moved months ahead of their previous patterns?
For example, winter typically falls in the December/January/February range. However, last year, we really didn't experience winter until February/March/April (which are usually spring weather months). Summer typically falls June/July/August, but this year, we had a very cool, wet June/July/August. Now, in September, we're experiencing typical summer weather in a typically fall weather month. As though Winter, Spring, & Summer moved ahead by several months. So will we have our Summer now in September/October/November (which used to be fall weather months) & our Fall in December/January/February?

Something to think about...

No comments: