Friday, January 1, 2010

New Years & Workouts

I'm not one for New Years resolutions - I never follow through with them, so why bother?  I think it's great if someone sets new goals for themselves, but working at a gym, it's apparent the failure rate of New Years resolutions.  It's sad, but true.  Everyone vows - no, swears - they'll get healthier.  The gym becomes absolute mayhem.  The early morning hours & evening hours (esp between 4-6 pm) are generally busier times, but after January 1, they become insane.  For those that workout on a regular basis, it is incredibly frustrating.  We show up at our regular times to workout, only to find the classes full & machines taken.  Give or take 1-2 months & everything begins to quiet down.  I wish people would make resolutions & stick to them or not make them at all.  I don't mind the gym being busy & will adjust my workout schedule if it were to be like that permanently (which would be great!)....but the chaos created with "Resolution Warriors" is annoying.

I have not planned any New Years resolutions, but instead continue to work on making a life together with Steve.  In my free time (at this point, I sadly have A LOT of free time), I'm attempting to work on my kitchen skills - baking & cooking.  *Gasp!*  You heard it folks.  I want to become comfortable with whipping up a yummy homemade meal without thought.  Part of this stems from a desire to eat from a more natural menu.  The key word here is homemade.  Just knowing how it was made & controlling what goes into the dish makes it that much healthier for you.  I would like to get more into menu planning so we always have a homemade meal for dinner & leftovers for lunch.  With today's crazy society & busy lives, it's so often we won't plan anything for dinner & by the time we're ready to eat, we're reaching for the same meals over & over; I want us to have more variety.  Variety is the spice of life, after all.  It's a work in progress, folks.

My kitchen skills have improved exponentially & I noticed the best thing in the kitchen is to be confident & comfortable.  I don't mind reading a recipe for baking, but when it comes to cooking, I prefer to read the recipe for a general idea of directions & then take off on my own.  If I'm too busy walking back & forth to read the recipe, measure ingredients, re-read the recipe, & so on, I get too stressed & it all goes to hell.  Instead, I let the food take over & go with the flow.

Here's to a new year of continued prosperity (a job would help, but at least we're prosperous in love), health & happiness!!  And continued "fun" & adventures in the kitchen.


Thurs
50 min self-taught "cycling class" (No classes until the New Year, so I hopped on an upright bike at the gym & did my own)  :)
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Jumping pull-ups & dips

1 comment:

montanamom123 said...

I always knew there was hope.
-Mom