Sunday, April 12, 2009

Adventures

My Christmas present from Steve was a new bike & I love it! I decided on a mountain bike (Specialized Myka), as I'll be using it for commuting in town as well as trail riding. As the weather warms up, we've been able to enjoy some trails not far from town. The trails are in the old town of Acme, once a booming coal mining town about 15 miles outside Sheridan. The area is more desert-like with few trees, but great trails created by cattle, deer, and antelope. Here are a few pictures from bike rides and runs:
According to what we've read, this area has held several mining "towns." This cemetery supposedly belonged to the town of Monarch with headstones dating back to the late 1800's & early 1900's. I've seen another cemetery in a different area & believe it is from the town of Acme; some day I'd like to venture over to check it out. Something hauntingly interesting about old cemeteries.


Several areas have these deep depressions. I call it "crater land" & had the fantastical idea they were created by meteors before the area was settled...but it turns out they're created from the ground settling into the old mines. Still pretty cool to see...


An old bridge over the Tongue River. On the far left you can see the old Acme coal mining building.

Steve enjoying the day

My new bike! Ain't she purty??

No comments: