Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Stomach bug = Mother Nature's crash diet?

Score: Bad Party Food = 1, Christina = 0

Saturday night was a fantastic night of a friend's going away party & playing Rock Band (game similar to Guitar Hero) at another friend's house until the wee hours of the morning. Sunday morning, awoke to beautiful weather and an impromptu cross-country ski trip for the day. On the way up the mountain, the fun began. I won't go into gruesome details, but let's just say something I ate on Saturday night put me down & out for the count. My GI tract reared a very ugly head. I was at work for only two hours on Monday morning before I cried uncle & spent the rest of the day in the safe confines of my home (more specifically, my couch). My previous encounter with a stomach bug gave me the wisdom to quickly realize my only hope was to lay off solid foods. Since Sunday afternoon, my only intake has been juice & broth with noodles. Much to my surprise, I never felt hungry. The human body is an amazing machine. Although I'm constantly battling the annoying effects of hypoglycemia (which does not allow me to go more than a few hours without nourishment), my stomach was smart enough to send my brain a very loud & clear message: Listen up homie, lay off the hunger pangs. If I receive solid food, I'm going to send you into a world of SERIOUS hurt. And just like that, my quick-to-catch-on brain stopped requesting food. Thank goodness...that would have been an ugly cycle.

As of this morning, I have yet to eat solid food. I'm feeling 100X better, but I'm not about to overload my GI tract & be sent back through "GI Tract Torture 101". Baby steps. Out of curiousity, I weighed myself this morning to see the effects - down about 2.5 lbs. I have been attempting to trim down a few pounds (don't freak out, just like everyone else I put on some "winter padding"), but I would NOT recommend a stomach bug as the course of action for weight loss. The cramps felt like someone stabbing me in the stomach with a hot poker. Yuck. (In reality, when you don't eat enough, your body goes into starvation mode & will begin to STORE fat to save itself, not to mention slow your metabolism.)

Needless to say, my workouts were derailed.

Friday
1 mi wu (warm-up)
4X 400 M run, 40# OHS (overhead squats)
Cycling class

Saturday
Tweaked something in my knee during OHS, time to take it easy (update: knee is back to normal, must work on OHS form)
30 min elliptical
10 min rower

Sunday
HOLY HELL STOMACH PAIN (code for "no workout")
While I managed to cross-country ski, I didn't attempt to turn it into a workout. I needed as much blood working on my GI tract as possible, I was not about to divert the blood to my legs.

Monday
I'd like to think I'm smart enough to stay away from a workout when the only sustenance I've had is juice & broth. Yes, yes I am.

No comments: